Requesting Deferral of Admission to Rutgers University
Deferrals of admission may be granted to first-year students for a full academic year, from one fall semester to the very next fall semester, unless the reason for deferral is for U.S. military service. Any student (first-year or transfer) deferring due to U.S. military requirements such as basic training or a deployment, may be considered for future entry in the spring or fall.
Please contact us
in writing to request a deferral. A deferral is official only when you are notified that the Office of University Undergraduate Admissions has granted your request
. Your Rutgers Status
will be updated to show when the deferral request has been granted.
The following are the conditions under which deferrals are usually granted:
- You must be a fall, first-year admitted student; if a transfer student, you may defer to pursue U.S. military service.
- Your acceptance fee of $150.00 must be included with your request for deferral. If your deferral is not granted, your fee will be returned.
- Educational Opportunity Fund (EOF) awards are specific to each academic year and may not be deferred.
- Students admitted into the Honors College or an honors program may defer their enrollment and maintain their honors placement for the year of enrollment.
- First-year students receiving a merit scholarship may defer their enrollment for one academic year and will be offered the same merit scholarship after the year of enrollment. Students must follow all deferral guidelines in order to maintain admissions and scholarship.
- First-year students must submit by July 1, 2017 a final official high school transcript certifying graduation and showing all courses and grades from grades 9 through 12. (Deferrals are conditioned on successful completion of all senior courses with no decline in grades. Any senior grades below a C can result in the deferral being rescinded.)
- Transfer applicants pursuing U.S. military service must submit final official college transcripts by June 15, 2017. (Deferrals are conditioned on successful completion of all college courses with no decline in grades. Any grades below a C in the most recent semester can result in the deferral being rescinded.)
- During the deferral year, you may not take any college courses. Enrollment in any college credit-bearing courses, even if you do not complete them, will nullify the deferral.
- Students who defer must submit a 2018 application for undergraduate admission, follow all instructions, and adhere to all 2018 due dates. No new application fee is required if you meet all of the deferral requirements. The 2018 application will be available online in September 2017.
- If your deferral is granted and you submit (as required) an updated application for the 2018 application year by the due dates-- adhering to the terms above-- you will receive notification of admission by February 28, 2018. You will need to accept the admission offer by May 1, 2018. The acceptance fee you paid for 2017 will be applied to 2018.