We notify applicants as soon as our decision(s) for any of their schools of application is final. For qualified Early Action applicants, we guarantee notification by January 31; and for qualified Regular Action applicants, notification of our admissions decision will be by February 28.
The decision about which students to admit is based upon our comprehensive review of each application. Our primary emphasis is placed on the student’s academic promise as demonstrated by:
- completion of required entrance subjects
- academic performance in high school or its equivalent:
- strength of academic program (number/type of academic, honors, or advanced placement courses completed)
- grades and grade trends
- weighted grade-point average(s)
- cumulative rank, when available
- SAT and/or ACT scores
- English Proficiency Examination results, when required
- Formal talent assessment for applicants to Mason Gross School of the Arts
We also consider such qualitative factors as:
- personal essay
- participation in programs designed for college preparation
- extracurricular activities, including community, volunteer, and/or U.S. military service
- honors, awards and other achievements
- special talents
- employment history
- family obligations
- socioeconomic background
The number of applicants Rutgers admits to each of our schools/colleges is determined by the quality of the applicant pool (which changes from year to year and may vary for each college/school of application) and the space in the entering class. Please refer to our admissions profile of previously admitted students.
We review applications when they are complete with all required credentials and first review applications submitted by these due dates.