International students who meet the academic standards of Rutgers University but do not meet the minimum requirements for English proficiency and require further English language preparation, may be granted conditional admission. If granted conditional admission, the student will be required to enroll in an English language program for the upcoming semester and, after meeting certain conditions, may gain admission into a degree program at Rutgers for a future semester. Please contact RUinternational@admissions.rutgers.edu with questions. Conditional Admission
- Apply to Rutgers University and submit all necessary credentials including results from an acceptable English proficiency examination (TOEFL, IELTS, MELAB or PTE).
- The Office of University Undergraduate Admissions may determine that you are academically prepared but in need of further English language study before beginning your Rutgers degree studies.
- If you are offered Standard Conditional Admission, you will be required to enroll in a Rutgers or Rutgers-affiliated English language program for your first semester, and you may spend up to two semesters in the program before beginning your degree studies. Once you meet the English language proficiency requirements for admission to a degree program, you will be admitted the next available semester.
The English language program in which you will enroll depends on the school to which you have been conditionally admitted.
Conditionally admitted students must meet the following conditions in order to gain full admission:
- Newark and Camden Campuses: Provide an official certificate from the Program in American Language Studies or other English language program demonstrating your successful completion of the program.
- New Brunswick Campus: While enrolled in the Rutgers Program in American Language Studies (PALS), achieve the minimum score requirement for an acceptable English language exam and provide official results from the testing agency. You may choose to take either the TOEFL (Minimum: 550pbt/79ibt), IELTS (Minimum: 7.0), MELAB (Minimum: 82) or PTE (Minimum: 53).