U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Requirement for all F-1 Student Visa Holders & J-1 Exchange Visitors Preparing To Attend Rutgers UniversityAbout the DHS/SEVIS Fee
If you are preparing to attend Rutgers University as an F-1 student visa holder
or J-1 exchange visitor
, the DHS/SEVIS fee payment and receipt must precede your visa application.
Back to Top Pay By Mail
- The U.S Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has implemented a SEVIS fee of $200 for all new F-1 and J-1 visa applicants. The fee will apply to F-1 or J-1 visa applicants applying for their first F-1 or J-1 visa, and it must be paid prior to making a visa application.
- The fee is required by SEVIS regulations to defray DHS's costs in operating the program.
- The rules regarding which visa applicants are subject to this fee are fairly complex; these rules, as well as additional information on the DHS SEVIS fee, can be found at U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement: SEVIS I-901.
- Those nonimmigrants already in the United States in another immigration status who want to change to F-1 or J-1 status will have to pay the fee and obtain a payment receipt BEFORE applying for the change of status.
- Canadians will be required to pay and obtain a receipt BEFORE going to a U.S. port of entry. The fee cannot be paid at the port of entry itself.
- The $200 SEVIS fee is in addition to any other application fees that the DHS or U.S. Department of State may normally charge for certain transactions such as visa applications.
Back to Top Pay Online
- Obtain a Form I-901 "Fee Remittance for Certain F, J, and M Nonimmigrants."
- Download the form from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement: SEVIS I-901 or, if inside the U.S., request the form by phone at 1-800-870-3676.
- Complete the Form I-901. Be sure to write your name exactly as it appears on the I-20 or DS-2019 form.
- Prepare a check, international money order or foreign draft (drawn on US banks only) in the amount of $200 USD, made payable to "The Department of Homeland Security."
- Mail the completed I-901 and payment to: P.O. Box listed on Form I-901.
- A Form I-797 receipt notice should be mailed to you within 3 days of processing the fee. Be sure to make copies of your receipt and keep it with your other important immigration documents.
Back to Top About SEVIS
- Access the Form I-901 "Fee Remittance for Certain F, J, and M Nonimmigrants" at U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement: SEVIS I-901.
- Complete the form online and supply the necessary Visa, MasterCard, or American Express information. Be sure to write your name exactly as it appears on your I-20 or DS-2019 form.
- Print a copy of the online receipt.
- Be sure to make a few additional copies of your receipt and keep them with your other important immigration documents.
SEVIS is the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System, a database program of the DHS which requires U.S. colleges and universities to provide certain data on J-1 and F-1 visitors as a condition of serving as their F-1 or J-1 visa sponsor.Back to Top