To complete your Undergraduate Admissions Application, you must submit the following:
- Online Application
- Preview the application so you know what to expect. When you are ready, select the appropriate application.
- Essay: An essay is required of first-year applicants and recommended for transfer applicants.
- Extracurricular Activities: The "More About You" section of our first-year application asks you to share extracurricular activities, leadership roles, awards and honors, employment and community and volunteer service. We highly recommended applicants complete this section.
- Application Fee: The non-refundable US$65 application fee is payable online by credit card.
Standardized Test Scores (SAT and ACT)
- First-year applicants: First-year applicants who are currently enrolled in high school submit the Self-Reported Academic Record (SRAR). Preview the SRAR so you know what to expect. You also may submit your transcripts and/or other academic records. Documents not in English must be accompanied by a certified translation from a professional translator or institution and must be presented on official letterhead. Discrepancies between a student’s SRAR and official transcripts may result in a student’s admission being rescinded.
- Transfer Applicants: Transfer applicants do not use the SRAR. Instead, official secondary school transcripts (with classes and grades reported) or official finishing certificates are required. Students who are currently enrolled in university also must submit official transcripts for all completed coursework. Documents not in English must be accompanied by a certified translation from a professional translator or institution and presented on official letterhead.
English Proficiency Test Scores
- First-year/Freshmen Applicants: First-year applicants must submit official score results for the SAT or ACT if they are currently enrolled in high school, or graduated from high school less than two years ago and will have completed fewer than 12 college credits by the application due date.
- Transfer and Other Applicants: You are not required to submit official score results for the SAT or ACT if you graduated from high school two or more years from the date you plan to enroll or if you have completed 12 or more college credits by the application due date.
Applicants who complete their secondary school education outside of the U.S. and where English is not the official language or primary language of instruction are required to submit English proficiency exam results. Submit one of the following directly from the testing agency from a test taken within the past two years.
Other Tests Scores , Auditions and Portfolios
- TOEFL, Test of English as a Foreign Language
All undergraduate schools at Rutgers require a minimum overall score of 79 on the TOEFL Internet-based test, except that the Rutgers Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy and the Rutgers College of Nursing-New Brunswick require a minimum overall score of 100 on the Internet-based test. Please note that our TOEFL code is 2765.
- IELTS, International English Language Testing System
- All undergraduate schools at the Rutgers-Newark and New Brunswick campuses require a minimum overall score of 6.5 on the IELTS test.
- All undergraduate schools at the Camden campus require a minimum overall score of 6.0 on the IELTS test.
- MELAB, Michigan English Assessment Battery
- Undergraduate schools at the Camden and Newark campuses require a minimum overall score of 76 on the MELAB test.
- undergraduate schools at the Rutgers-New Brunswick campus require a minimum overall score of 82 on the MELAB test.
- PTE, Pearson Test of English
All Rutgers undergraduate schools require a minimum overall score of 53 on the PTE.
Students who have achieved a grade of B or better in a university-level English composition course at an accredited U.S. college or university are exempt from the English language proficiency requirement. English courses that are designated ESL, non-native or which require a special support component, as well as online courses and courses taken outside the U.S., are not acceptable.
Letters of Recommendation are Not Required
- For Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy applicants, the Pharmacy College Admissions Test is required.
- For Mason Gross School of the Arts at Rutgers, a portfolio, audition or interview demonstrating your artistic talent is required. For more information on audition and portfolio requirements, please visit Auditions and Portfolio Reviews.
Letters of recommendation are not used for admissions consideration. Our application provides multiple opportunities for applicants to describe their accomplishments, activities, community service, and personal experiences.