Create Your Info Packet
Contact Us

We're here to help.

Please send undergraduate application-related documents to:

Office of University Undergraduate Admissions
Operations Center
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
65 Davidson Road, Room 202
Piscataway, New Jersey 08854-8097
732-445-8088 Fax

  • Prospective students are welcome to visit us at one of our locations.
  • Most applicant questions are answered by our FAQ.
  • Learn more about Rutgers on social media.
  • International applicants may email
  • Counselors may invite us to visit their school or college fair via email

  • Request Information

    Create Your Info Packet
    Information Request Form

    Rutgers Admissions Offices and Visitor Center

    Rutgers University-Camden
    Office of Graduate and Undergraduate Admissions
    Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
    406 Penn Street
    Camden, New Jersey 08102-1499
    Building Location and Travel Directions

    Rutgers University-Newark
    Office of Graduate and Undergraduate Admissions
    Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
    Engelhard Hall
    190 University Ave
    Newark, New Jersey 07102
    Building Location and Travel Directions

    Rutgers University-New Brunswick
    100 Sutphen Road
    Piscataway, New Jersey 08854-8097
    Questions: 732-445-4636 (Campus Information Services)
    Building Location and Travel Directions

    Rutgers School of Health Professions
    Office of Enrollment Services
    65 Bergen Street, Rm. 149
    Newark, NJ 07101-1709

    Frequently Asked Questions

    Questions from International Students and US Residents Studying Abroad
    Questions about Scholarships

    Rutgers Academic Overview
    • What is Rutgers' faculty-to-student ratio? The faculty-to-student ratio is 1:14. At Rutgers, students interact with faculty in the classroom and laboratory and during office hours and off-hours. Our full-time faculty members are undergraduate academic advisers, mentors and research partners.
    • What is your average class size? Most (61 percent) Rutgers undergraduate classes have 30 or fewer students, and fewer than 7 percent enroll more than 100 students.
    • Do you offer special services for veterans? Yes. For more information, visit Rutgers Veterans Services.
    General Questions about the Rutgers Application Process
    • When does your online application become available for the forthcoming year? Each year our Application for Undergraduate Admission is available in early September. Application processes differ for the School of Health Professions.
    • How long does it take for the Your Rutgers Status screen to show that my credentials have been received? It can take two weeks from the date your credentials are sent to Rutgers for confirmation of their receipt to appear on the status screen. You should allow sufficient time if your credentials are being sent from overseas.
    • Does the major I choose on the application affect admissions consideration? No. You may indicate an area of interest when completing the application for undergraduate admission or you may choose "undecided." If you are admitted to Rutgers, academic advisers are available to assist you with declaring a major.
    • Do children of alumni receive special admissions consideration? No. Children, grandchildren and siblings of alumni do not receive special consideration in the admissions process. As a state university we provide each applicant with an equal opportunity to be admitted.
    • Does Rutgers provide a downloadable version of the application? No, but you may print the preview version of our application for review. Once you begin your application, your information will be saved automatically between log ins.Submitting your online application is fast and secure, and you will receive confirmation that we have received your application immediately upon submission.
    • Does Rutgers require letters of recommendation? No, and letters of recommendation are not used for admissions consideration for Rutgers schools. Our application provides multiple opportunities for applicants to describe their accomplishments, activities, community service, and personal experiences. Please note honors programs at Rutgers colleges or schools may request letters of recommendation for admission.
    • I cannot fit my essay in the space provided on the application. Can I send it separately? No. Essays submitted separately from the online application will not be considered.
    • Can Rutgers return my application so that I can make some changes? No. Once the online application has been submitted, you cannot retrieve it to make changes. Please answer all questions accurately and honestly on the application prior to submission. Each student will create a single email account for the admissions application. You can change your mailing and email address online once you log in to your account.
    • Do you accept the common application? No. Students applying for admission to Rutgers must submit our Application for Undergraduate Admission or see the procedures for the School of Health Professions. All of our forms are online for your convenience.
    • If I'm not happy with the essay I submitted with my online application, can I submit another? No. Once an application is submitted, it cannot be re-opened to add or make essay changes.
    • Does Rutgers require an essay? The essay is required for all first-year applicants and recommended for transfer applicants.  Your essay must be your own original work.
    • When will I receive notification saying whether or not I have been admitted? We communicate all decisions through Your Rutgers Status within our designated time frames. Admitted students may accept or decline their offers of admission from the Your Rutgers Status site.
    • How do I request reconsideration of my application? Requests for reconsideration of the Rutgers Undergraduate Admissions Application must be based upon new academic information (that was not available at the time of the original decision and) which shows a significant improvement as compared to credentials previously submitted -- for example, a later term grade report or new SAT or ACT(with writing) scores.   Your request should include your full name and RUID and be sent with the required new academic information to:
    Reconsideration Committee
    Office of University Undergraduate Admissions Operations Center
    Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
    65 Davidson Road, Room 202
    Piscataway NJ 08854-8097
    Fax: 732-445-0237

    Please note that requests for reconsideration rarely result in a different decision, and we will not consider requests that do not include substantial new academic information.
    • My application has been withdrawn from consideration because I didn’t send my credentials on time. Can I reinstate it? Visit Where to Apply to see if we are still accepting applications for your school choices. A file can be reopened only if the school is still considering new applicants. Once Your Rutgers Status shows that all items have been received, please email us requesting for your application to be reinstated.
    • Can Rutgers return the paperwork I submitted? No; we are not able to return the credentials submitted to us. All documents you submit are securely shredded each year.
    • I was admitted to a school to which I didn't apply. How is that possible? Our goal is to provide maximum consideration for every applicant. If we are unable to offer you admission to the school(s) you have selected, we will consider your application for other appropriate Rutgers school choices.
    • I have a bachelor's degree from another school and I am looking to take some courses as non-degree student. How do I apply? Students interested in non-degree study may apply as visiting students or as non-matriculating students. Non-matriculating students use our Undergraduate Admissions Application (except for the non-degree programs at the School of Health Professions). To apply as a non-matriculating students, please pay the application fee and send an official college transcript showing that you have earned a bachelor's degree. We can not guarantee course availability for any non-degree students.
    • I have a bachelor's degree from Rutgers and am looking to take some courses as a non-degree student. How do I apply? Please use the Re-Enrollment Application if you were previously enrolled in an undergraduate degree program at any campus of these Rutgers schools and wish to return to take undergraduate courses for either degree or non-degree study.
    • Does Rutgers comply with the New Jersey College Student and Parent Consumer Information Act? Yes, please see the information posted here
    • I am a current high school student. Can I submit an interim high school transcript instead of a Self-Reported Academic Record? No. We do not accept interim high school transcripts in lieu of the Self-Reported Academic Record (SRAR), and Rutgers will not review any transcripts current high school students submit instead of a SRAR. Please obtain a transcript from your counselor to complete the SRAR.
    • Do you consider the writing portion of the SAT? Yes. We consider the writing portion of the SAT in our decision-making process.
    • Is there a minimum SAT or ACT score requirement? No. Standardized tests were designed to be used in conjunction with a student's high school record. Rutgers considers all of the required credentials a student submits and places the greatest emphasis on your academic record.
    • I plan to retake the SAT but my updated scores may not be available until after December 1. Should I submit my most recent scores by the due date and send my updated scores when available? You should submit at least one set of scores by the Regular Action due date to ensure consideration for all schools to which you applied. Your updated SAT scores will be considered if they are received before a decision has been made on your application. We cannot guarantee that decisions will not be made before we receive new scores. Applicants with a future SAT test date should indicate this on their applications.
    •  Does Rutgers accept the International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma? Yes. The Office of Undergraduate Admissions recommends advanced placement credit for Higher Level passes of five, six, and seven. Final decisions, however, rest with the college/school deans and/or department chairs who may require a syllabus before making such decisions. One exception: Mason Gross School of the Arts will consider credit for liberal arts courses, but not for art or music courses until the dean reviews a portfolio and/or recording.
    • Do I need to submit my Advanced Placement (AP) scores with my application? No. Only enrolling students should arrange to have their AP scores sent to Rutgers.
    • Do you offer scholarships to students who apply after the regular action due date? Students whose applications are not complete by the regular action due date are not generally considered for scholarships.
    • Should I submit my mid-year grades? No, unless requested by the admissions committee or you are placed a waiting list. Current high school seniors on a waiting list should use the Self-Reported Academic Record (SRAR) to provide their mid-year grades.
    • I need help with course selection for my upcoming senior year. Is there someone that can help me with this? We suggest you keep in mind Rutgers entrance requirements when you discuss your course schedule with your counselor.
    • I am interested in taking courses as a visiting student. How do I apply? Visiting undergraduate, graduate, and high school students with qualifying academic records as well as professionals seeking a career change or degree advancement, and interested community members, are welcome to study on a non-degree basis at Rutgers through the Continuing Studies initiative during the academic year. Registration is not guaranteed and is contingent on space availability and/or departmental approval. Transferability of credits is solely determined by the institution(s) you have applied to or are matriculated in. In addition, recognize that registering for courses via Rutgers Continuing Studies does not guarantee acceptance into any academic program offered at Rutgers.
    • I plan on transferring to Rutgers but need assistance with course selection at my current school. Is there someone that can help me with this? You may consult the Rutgers course catalog if you plan to transfer and try to take academic courses similar to those at Rutgers. If you plan to transfer from a New Jersey community college, consult the NJTransfer website and pursue a Recommended Transfer Program (RTP).
    • Can I visit the admissions office and have my college transcript evaluated for transfer credit? No. While you may see a counselor at your request, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions does not conduct credit evaluations. The advanced standing granted to a transfer student is determined by an official evaluation of courses, after a student has been admitted, by the dean of the college/school at which the student will enroll. In general, credits are granted for academic courses (equivalent to those at Rutgers), offered at an accredited institution and for which you earned a "C" or better.
    • Do transfer students need to submit a high school transcript? Yes. Transfer students must also demonstrate completion of our specific high school entrance requirements. Programs requirements may differ at the School of Health Professions.
    • Can transfer students defer admission? No, except for transfer students called to serve as members of the U.S. armed forces.
    • Will you wait to receive my current semester's grades before making a decision on my application? No. We will review your application with your grades for all courses completed by the application date. Because the grades for your courses in progress may not be available until we have concluded the review of applications, we cannot guarantee our ability to wait for them.
    • I owe money to my previous school, so I will not be able to have an official transcript sent to Rutgers. Can I still apply? No. We will not process a student's application if there is a financial hold on that student's college record(s). Official academic records are required for our application review process and/or audit.

    Questions From International Students and U.S. Residents Studying Abroad 
    • I am currently attending a U.S. high school, but some of my high school education was completed in another country. Am I still required to submit an English proficiency examination score?  No such score is required in this case, but we would consider an English proficiency examination score from an applicant who has studied in a U.S. high school for fewer than two years.
    • My status screen shows that you still need my foreign college transcripts, but I already submitted my transcript evaluations from an evaluation service. What else do I need to submit?  We require the official record. A transcript evaluation completed by an evaluation service is not an official school record. Only translations, not evaluations, of documents not in English, are required for your Rutgers application.
    • I do not have my score yet for an English proficiency examination score. Is it possible to be admitted to Rutgers under the condition that I submit an acceptable English proficiency examination score before I enroll?  No. International students must demonstrate the required level of English proficiency to be admitted as degree candidates to Rutgers University. In some cases, Rutgers may offer conditional admission via the English language proficiency program to students who have done well in their studies but who still need to improve their English language skills. 
    • Is financial aid available to international students?  Rutgers may offer a limited number of merit scholarships to admitted international students, but need-based aid is not available to international students. U.S. federal law specifies that need-based aid is available only to eligible U.S. citizens and permanent residents ("green card" holders).
    • Does Rutgers award college credit for A-levels? Yes, see below for policies specific to each Rutgers location.

      At Rutgers University-New Brunswick, the School of Arts and Sciences, School of Environmental and Biological Sciences, School of Engineering, Mason Gross School of the Arts and Rutgers Business School will award advanced placement credit for A2's only, as follows:

      • A-Levels (A2’s only) will be considered for credit/course equivalents with scores of A, B or C.
      • No credit is awarded for AS-Levels.

      At Rutgers University-Newark, the following apply:

      • A-Levels (A2’s only) will be considered for credit/course equivalents with scores of A, B or C.
      • No credit is awarded for for AS-Levels.

      At Rutgers University-Camden, the following apply:

      • A-Levels (A2’s only) will be considered for credit/course equivalents with scores of A, B or C.
      • In some cases, credit may also be awarded for a score of D, and the Office of New Student Programs may request a WES evaluation if they require further information.
      • No credit is awarded for AS-Levels awarded.
    • Will you accept a faxed copy of my bank letter? You may submit faxed or scanned copies of your bank letter/statement to Rutgers for the purpose of issuing your I-20.  However, you must retain the original bank letter/statement for your visa interview.
    • I only have one official copy of my foreign transcripts. Can I bring these to your office to have them certified by an admissions representative? Yes. Students may bring official transcripts (along with photocopies) to our office to be certified as true copies of the originals. We do not make copies.
    • My documents are not in English. Do I need to provide translations? Yes. Documents not in English must be accompanied by a translation verified by a language professor or professional translator; and these must be presented on professional letterhead.
    • Can my bank letter show a lesser amount than what is indicated on the International Student Financial Statement (ISFS)? No. U.S. government regulations require students who will hold a student F-1 visa to prove they will be financially supported for the entire time they intend to be enrolled. Therefore, the projected funds indicated on the International Student Financial Statement must equal or exceed the required annual minimum.
    • I am a U.S. citizen attending a foreign high school. Am I required to submit an English proficiency examination score? Yes. Regardless of an applicant's residency status, an English proficiency examination is required of all students whose secondary schooling has been outside the U.S. in a country where English is not the principal language.
    • I currently reside in the U.S., but all of my education was completed in a foreign country. Should I apply as an international student? Our application does not ask students to identify themselves as "international." Instead, all applicants are asked to indicate whether they are a U.S. citizen, green card holder, or non-U.S. citizen, non-green card holder. If the student selects the latter, they must indicate the visa they plan to hold while attending Rutgers. More information about required financial documentation for student visa holders is here
    • Can you return my transcripts? No.

    Questions about Scholarships
    • What factors are considered during the awarding of first-year merit scholarships? We consider SAT or ACT scores, cumulative grade-point average, final course grades and the strength of an applicant's academic program. Criteria is determined by the competitiveness of the applicant pool each year; so there is no set of credentials that guarantees any award. All first-year admitted students who apply by December 1 are considered for merit awards and offered the highest monetary award for which they qualify. Except for the International Award, scholarships are offered only to US citizens and permanent residents. 
    • Will I still be considered for first-year scholarships if I apply after December 1? No. First-year students must apply by December 1 and submit all required credentials within two weeks of that date. 
    • Are international students eligible for scholarships? Yes; international students are eligible for the International Award in amounts that range from $2,000 to $10,000 per year.
    • When will I hear if I received a scholarship? Beginning in January, students who qualify for a scholarship will be notified. Applicants admitted after January and who may qualify for an award are notified usually within three weeks of their admission.
    • Will you accept updated SAT or ACT score for a first-year merit scholarship consideration? Yes, but only scores from exams that were taken before January 1 of your senior year will be considered.
    • Why did I receive a scholarship for one school and not the other? Each Rutgers school or college selects scholarship recipients to shape their entering class. Therefore it is possible for a student admitted to several academic units within Rutgers to receive scholarship awards in amounts that vary by school or college.
    • I know someone who received a scholarship and their test scores are lower than mine; shouldn't I qualify for that scholarship too? No, because scholarships are based on a combination of factors including cumulative grade-point average, final course grades, strength of an academic program and SAT or ACT scores.  There is no set of “numbers” that will guarantee a scholarship or its amount.
    • If I don’t get a scholarship now, can I get one in my second or third year at Rutgers? The merit award program pertains to students entering Rutgers as new students, either first-year or transfer. There may be other scholarships awarded to continuing students by their school's deans office, based on merit or other factors.  
    • What do I need to have to keep my scholarship? Scholarships are renewable for a total of four years, based on specified academic performance and provided the student is enrolled full-time. Presidential Scholarship renewal requires the student to maintain a 3.25 cumulative grade-point average. All other first-year merit scholarships require the student to maintain a 3.0 cumulative grade-point average. 
    • If I change schools at Rutgers, will my scholarship change? Scholarships may not be transferable if you switch schools at Rutgers.
    • If I self-identify as a descendant of a Rutgers alumnus will I be guaranteed an endowed scholarship? No; academic criteria are considered whenever we award scholarships. 
    • If I choose to defer my admission to Rutgers, will I keep my scholarship? Yes, provided they properly defer admission, scholarship awardees who defer may be awarded the same scholarship the following year.

    My Question Is Not Listed Here

    To which of our locations would you like to submit your question?