Create Your Info Packet

Link to brochure
Contact Us

We're here to help.

  • Please send undergraduate application-related documents to:

    Office of University Undergraduate Admissions
    Operations Center
    Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
    65 Davidson Road, Room 202
    Piscataway, New Jersey 08854-8097
    732-445-8088 Fax

  • Prospective students are welcome to visit us at one of our locations.
  • Most applicant questions are answered by our FAQ.
  • Learn more about Rutgers on social media.
  • International applicants may email
  • Counselors may invite us to visit their school or college fair via email

  • Rutgers Admissions Offices and Visitor Center

    Office of Graduate and Undergraduate Admissions
    Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
    406 Penn Street
    Camden, New Jersey 08102-1499

    Building Location and Travel Directions

    Office of Graduate and Undergraduate Admissions
    Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
    Engelhard Hall
    190 University Ave
    Newark, New Jersey 07102

    Building Location and Travel Directions

    Rutgers Visitor Center (New Brunswick campus)
    100 Sutphen Road
    Piscataway, New Jersey 08854-8097
    Direct questions by phone to: 732-445-4636 (Campus Information Services)
    Building Location and Travel Directions

    Rutgers School of Health Related Professions
    Office of Enrollment Services
    65 Bergen Street, Rm. 149
    Newark, NJ 07101-1709

    Frequently Asked Questions

    Rutgers Academic Overview
    • What is your average class size? Most (64 percent) Rutgers undergraduate classes have 30 or fewer students, and fewer than 7 percent enroll more than 100 students.
    • Do you offer special services for veterans? Yes. For more information, visit Rutgers Veterans Services.
    General Questions about the Rutgers Application Process
    • When does your online application become available for the forthcoming year? Each year our Application for Undergraduate Admission is available in early September. Application processes differ for the School of Health Related Professions.
    • How long does it take for the Your Rutgers Status screen to show that my credentials have been received? It can take three weeks from the date your credentials are sent to Rutgers for confirmation of their receipt to appear on the status screen. You should allow sufficient time if your credentials are being sent from overseas.
    • Does the major I choose on the application affect admissions consideration? No. You may indicate an area of interest when completing the application for undergraduate admission or you may choose "undecided." If you are admitted to Rutgers University, academic advisers are available to assist you with declaring a major.
    • Do children of alumni receive special admissions consideration? No. Children, grandchildren and siblings of alumni do not receive special consideration in the admissions process. As a state university we provide each applicant with an equal opportunity to be admitted.
    • Does Rutgers provide a downloadable version of the application? No, but you may print the preview version of our application for review. Once you begin your application, your information will be saved automatically between logins.Submitting your online application is fast and secure, and you will receive confirmation that we have received your application immediately upon submission.
    • Does Rutgers require letters of recommendation? No, and letters of recommendation are not used for admissions consideration for Rutgers schools. Our application provides multiple opportunities for applicants to describe their accomplishments, activities, community service, and personal experiences. Please note Honors Programs at Rutgers colleges or schools may request letters of recommendation for admission.
    • I cannot fit my essay in the space provided on the application. Can I send it separately? No. Essays submitted separately from the online application will not be considered.
    • Can Rutgers return my application so that I can make some changes? No. Once the online application has been submitted, you cannot retrieve it to make changes. But rest assured, our system would not have allowed you to submit an application if it was missing any of the required information.
    • Do you accept the common application? No. Students applying for admission to Rutgers must submit our Application for Undergraduate Admission or see the procedures for the School of Health Related Professions . All of our forms are online for your convenience.
    • If I'm not happy with the essay I submitted with my online application, can I submit another? No. Once an application is submitted, it cannot be re-opened to add or make essay changes.
    • Does Rutgers require an essay? The essay is required for all first-year applicants and recommended for transfer applicants.
    • When will I receive my letter saying whether or not I have been admitted? We communicate all decisions through Your Rutgers Status within our designated time frames. Admitted students may accept or decline their offers of admission from the Your Rutgers Status site.
    • How do I request reconsideration of my application? Requests for reconsideration of the Rutgers Undergraduate Admissions Application must be based upon new academic information (that was not available at the time of the original decision and) which shows a significant improvement as compared to credentials previously submitted -- for example, a later term grade report or new SAT or ACT scores.   Your request should include your full name and RUID and be sent with the required new academic information to:
    Reconsideration Committee
    Office of University Undergraduate Admissions Operations Center
    Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
    65 Davidson Road, Room 202
    Piscataway NJ 08854-8097
    Fax: 732-445-0237

    Please note that requests for reconsideration rarely result in a different decision, and we will not consider requests that do not include substantial new academic information.
    • My application has been withdrawn from consideration because I didn’t send my credentials on time. Can I reinstate it? Your application will automatically be reinstated for all schools to which you applied and that are still accepting applications on the date we received all the items required to complete your application.
    • Can Rutgers return the paperwork I submitted? No; we are not able to return the credentials submitted to us.
    • I was admitted to a school to which I didn't apply. How is that possible? Our goal is to provide maximum consideration for every applicant. If we are unable to offer you admission to the school(s) you have selected, we will consider your application for other appropriate Rutgers school choices.
    • I have a bachelor's degree from another school and I am looking to take some courses as non-degree student. How do I apply? Students interested in non-degree study may apply as visiting students or as non-matriculating students. Non-matriculating students use our Undergraduate Admissions Application (except for the non-degree programs at the School of Health and Related Professions). To apply as a non-matriculating students, please pay the application fee and send an official college transcript showing that you have earned a bachelor's degree.  We can not guarantee course availability for any non-degree students.
    • Does Rutgers comply with the New Jersey College Student and Parent Consumer Information Act? Yes, please see the information posted here
    • I am a current high school student. Can I submit an interim high school transcript instead of a Self-Reported Academic Record? No. We do not accept interim high school transcripts in lieu of the Self-Reported Academic Record (SRAR), and Rutgers will not review any transcripts current high school students submit instead of a SRAR. Please obtain a transcript from your counselor to complete the SRAR.
    • Do you consider the writing portion of the SAT? Yes. 
    • Is there a minimum SAT or ACT score requirement? No. Standardized tests were designed to be used in conjunction with a student's high school record. Rutgers considers all of the required credentials a student submits and places the greatest emphasis on your academic record.
    • I plan to retake the SAT but my updated scores may not be available until after December 1. Should I submit my most recent scores by the due date and send my updated scores when available? You should submit at least one set of scores by the Regular Action due date, to ensure consideration for all schools to which you applied. Your updated SAT scores will be considered if they are received before a decision has been made on your application. We cannot guarantee that decisions will not be made before we receive new scores. Applicants with a future SAT test date should indicate this on their applications.
    •  Does Rutgers accept the International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma? Yes. The Office of Undergraduate Admissions recommends advanced placement credit for Higher Level passes of five, six, and seven. Final decisions, however, rest with the college/school deans and/or department chairs who may require a syllabus before making such decisions. One exception: Mason Gross School of the Arts will consider credit for liberal arts courses, but not for art or music courses until the dean reviews a portfolio and/or recording.
    • Do I need to submit my Advanced Placement (AP) scores with my application? No. Only enrolling students should arrange to have their AP scores sent to Rutgers.
    • Do you offer scholarships to students who apply after the regular action due date? Students whose applications are not complete by the regular action due date are not generally considered for href="~/Costs/Scholarships/FirstYearScholarships.aspx" sfref="~/Costs/Scholarships/FirstYearScholarships.aspx" title="First-year scholarships">scholarships.
    • Should I submit my mid-year grades? No, unless requested by the admissions committee or in if you are placed on the wait list.
    • I need help with course selection for my upcoming senior year. Is there someone that can help me with this? We suggest you keep in mind Rutgers entrance requirements when you discuss your course schedule with your counselor.
    • I plan on transferring to Rutgers but need assistance with course selection at my current school. Is there someone that can help me with this? You may consult the Rutgers course catalog if you plan to transfer and try to take academic courses similar to those at Rutgers. If you plan to transfer from a New Jersey community college, consult the NJTransfer web site and pursue a a Recommended Transfer Program (RTP).
    • Can I visit the admissions office and have my college transcript evaluated for transfer credit? No. While you may see a counselor at your request, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions does not conduct credit evaluations. The advanced standing granted to a transfer student is determined by an official evaluation of courses, after a student has been admitted, by the dean of the college/school at which the student will enroll. In general, credits are granted for academic courses (equivalent to those at Rutgers), offered at an accredited institution and for which you earned a "C" or better.
    • Do transfer students need to submit a high school transcript? Yes.Transfer students must also demonstrate completion of our specific high school entrance requirements. Programs requirements may differ at the School of Health Related Professions.
    • Can transfer students apply directly to the Rutgers Business School-New Brunswick? Yes. Transfer students may apply directly to the Rutgers Business School.
    • Can transfer students defer admission? No, except for transfer students called to serve as members of the U.S. armed forces.
    • Will you wait to receive my current semester's grades before making a decision on my application? No. We will review your application with your grades for all courses completed by the application date. Because the grades for your courses in progress may not be available until we have concluded the review of applications, we cannot guarantee our ability to wait for them.
    • I owe money to my previous school, so I will not be able to have an official transcript sent to Rutgers. Can I still apply? No. We will not process a student's application if there is a financial hold on that student's college record(s). Official academic records are required for our application review process and/or audit.

    Questions From International Students and U.S. Residents Studying Abroad 
    • I am currently attending a U.S. high school, but some of my high school education was completed in another country. Am I still required to submit an English proficiency examination score?  No such score is required in this case, but we would consider an English proficiency examination score from an applicant who has studied in a U.S. high school for fewer than two years.
    • My status screen shows that you still need my foreign college transcripts, but I already submitted my transcript evaluations from an evaluation service. What else do I need to submit?  We require the official record. A transcript evaluation completed by an evaluation service is not an official school record. Only translations, not evaluations, of documents not in English, are required for your Rutgers application.
    • I do not have my score yet for an English proficiency examination score. Is it possible to be admitted to Rutgers under the condition that I submit an acceptable English proficiency examination score before I enroll?  No. International students must demonstrate the required level of English proficiency to be admitted as degree candidates to Rutgers University. In some cases, Rutgers may offer conditional admission via the English language proficiency program to students who have done well in their studies but who still need to improve their English language skills. 
    • Is financial aid available to international students?  Rutgers may offer a limited number of merit scholarships to admitted international students, but need-based aid is not available to international students. U.S. federal law specifies that need-based aid is available only to eligible U.S. citizens and permanent residents ("green card" holders). 
    • Will you accept a faxed copy of my bank letter?  In some cases. For the I-20 to be issued to student visa holders, we must have original copies of financial documents or documents transmitted directly from the financial institution. Illegible documents can not be accepted.
    • I only have one official copy of my foreign transcripts. Can I bring these to your office to have them certified by an admissions representative? Yes. Students may bring official transcripts (along with photocopies) to our office to be certified as true copies of the originals. We do not make copies.
    • My documents are not in English. Do I need to provide translations? Yes. Documents not in English must be accompanied by a translation verified by a language professor or professional translator; and these must be presented on professional letterhead.
    • Can my bank letter show a lesser amount than what is indicated on the International Student Financial Statement (ISFS)? No. U.S. government regulations require students who will hold a student F-1 visa to prove they will be financially supported for the entire time they intend to be enrolled. Therefore, the projected funds indicated on the International Student Financial Statement must equal or exceed the required annual minimum.
    • I am a U.S. citizen attending a foreign high school. Am I required to submit an English proficiency examination score? Yes. Regardless of an applicant's residency status, an English proficiency examination is required of all students whose secondary schooling has been outside the U.S. in a country where English is not the principal language.
    • I currently reside in the U.S., but all of my education was completed in a foreign country. Should I apply as an international student? Our application does not ask students to identify themselves as "international." Instead, all applicants are asked to indicate whether they are a US citizen, green card holder, or non-US citizen, non-green card holder. If the student selects the latter, they must indicate the visa they plan to hold while attending Rutgers. More information about required financial documentation for student visa holders is here
    • Can you return my transcripts? No.
    My Question Is Not Listed Here
    • To which of our regional campuses would you like to submit your question?