Part-Time Students (Degree or Non-Degree Candidates)
- A part-time student is enrolled for fewer than 12 course credits in one semester.
- Applicants for part-time study complete the same application as applicants for full-time study.
- Applicants for part-time study will submit the same required credentials based on applicant status as either a first-year or transfer applicant.
- To be admitted as a part-time student, applicants must meet the same admissions requirements as full-time applicants.
- Not all schools accept part-time applicants. Please see the information on school availability at Rutgers–Camden, Rutgers–Newark, and/or Rutgers–New Brunswick to see which schools accept part-time applicants.
- International students planning to attend on a student visa must be enrolled full time; they may not enroll on a part-time basis.
Non-Matriculating Students (Non-Degree Candidates)
- A non-matriculating student takes courses at Rutgers but is not pursuing a Rutgers degree.
- Who may apply for non-matriculated undergraduate enrollment?
- Students who have completed a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in the U.S.
- Students who have graduated from high school, have been matriculated at another college or university, and wish to take courses to transfer to their home institution.
- Students who wish to take courses during the summer. (Note: Do not complete the undergraduate admissions application; instead, see the Summer Session website of the location you wish to attend.)
- Adults who wish to take courses for personal enrichment or career advancement but are not seeking a Rutgers degree.
- Non-matriculating students may enroll on a space-available basis and may take a limited number of courses. Please see the information on school availability at Rutgers–Camden, Rutgers–Newark, and/or Rutgers–New Brunswick to view which schools accept non-matriculated applicants.
- Students wishing to be considered for non-matriculating status must submit the following:
- Application for Undergraduate Admission
- All college transcripts and proof of having obtained a bachelor's degree
- The $70 non-refundable application fee
- Applicants for non-matriculating study complete the same application as applicants for matriculated study.
- International students planning to attend on a student visa must enroll in a degree program. They may not enroll on a non-matriculating basis.
- To be admitted for non-matriculated enrollment, students must meet the same admissions requirements as matriculating applicants.
More information about studying as a non-matriculated student at Rutgers-New Brunswick can be found at https://admissions.newbrunswick.rutgers.edu/non-matriculating-students