Tour Rutgers–New Brunswick
Undergraduate Admissions offers general campus tours of Rutgers–New Brunswick, which consists of 5 campuses across Piscataway, NJ and New Brunswick, NJ. These tours do not go over specific academic schools or majors. All tour programming offered by Undergraduate Admissions is considered introductory, designed to provide a general overview of the Rutgers student experience. Regardless of the type of tour you attend, the program covers housing, dining, and student involvement as well as the general academic experience. To supplement your general campus tour, we recommend checking out the self-guided and school tour options!
Rutgers–New Brunswick Tour Offerings:
Information Session and College Avenue Campus Walking Tour*
- Take a deep dive where Rutgers–New Brunswick originated: our College Avenue campus! Students will attend an information session that provides a general overview of Rutgers–New Brunswick presented by student Scarlet Ambassadors, followed by a walking tour of the College Avenue campus. Students will learn about campus life, academic offerings, and how to apply to Rutgers–New Brunswick. This tour will last about 2 hours.
Information Session and Bus Tour*
- Students and their guests will attend an information session presented by student Scarlet Ambassadors and an Undergraduate Admissions representative, which will go over the basics of Rutgers–New Brunswick and how to apply for the fall 2023 semester. Following our information session, students and their guests will be led on our five-campus bus tour of Rutgers–New Brunswick, which introduces visitors to campus life by highlighting the academic and student experience. This tour will last about 2 hours. This is a great option for students who are serious about applying to Rutgers–New Brunswick for the fall 2023 semester and wish to learn more about the application process.
Virtual Campus Tours
- Can’t make it to campus? Admitted and prospective students, along with their families, are invited to attend a virtual campus tour. This virtual tour of Rutgers–New Brunswick is hosted live by current student Scarlet Ambassadors and gives you an inside look at the highlights of Rutgers–New Brunswick's five-campus system! As an attendee, you will have the opportunity to write in any questions that you have about navigating campus, the student experience, general academic information, or any other topics, and our Scarlet Ambassadors will answer them live!
*At this time, we are unable to take guests inside residence halls and other select buildings on campus due to COVID-19 policies in place by Rutgers University. You can view residence halls on the Residence Life website. Please keep this in mind when planning your visit.
Our campus tours provide a general overview of academics and campus life at Rutgers–New Brunswick. For specific school/academic events, visit our School and Academic Events website, or view each school’s website here. School and academic tours are managed by the academic schools and are not affiliated with Undergraduate Admissions. Please contact academic schools directly for information about school and academic events.
Helpful Academic Information:
- The School of Arts and Sciences does not host school/academic events.
- Information on Rutgers–New Brunswick and Rutgers–Newark’s BA/MD programs can be found here.
- Upper division schools (Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy, School of Communication and Information, School of Management and Labor Relations, School of Social Work) do not offer tours for first-year students.
- Rutgers–New Brunswick does not have a law school. Please see information about Rutgers Law School at Rutgers–Newark and Rutgers–Camden here.
- Information about Rutgers–New Brunswick’s Pre-Law Advising can be found here.
Guests can also explore campus on their own with our self-guided walking tours via the Rutgers–New Brunswick mobile app! Learn more about self-guided tours here.
- All on-campus event attendees must be fully vaccinated (two-dose Moderna or Pfizer mRNA series or one dose of Johnson & Johnson) or show proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test within 72 hours of the tour date. Home tests and rapid tests are NOT valid. Please note that verification of vaccination or negative COVID-19 test will take place on site at the time of the on-campus event and cannot be verified in advance. Upon arrival, on-campus event attendees must present a valid government-issued photo ID along with an official vaccination card/digital record or PCR test results. School IDs for high school students are accepted as long as it is a photo ID. Photocopies of any verification documentation, including ID, will not be accepted.
- Face coverings are required at all times while on Rutgers University buses.
- Face coverings are optional except for all teaching spaces, libraries, and clinical facilities.
- More information on Rutgers University’s COVID-19 protocols can be found here.
- There is a strict limit of 2 guests per student for a total party of 3.
- Both the bus tours and the walking tours cover the same information. It is not necessary to attend both.
- We do not have a waitlist. Please register in advance for your tour.
Undergraduate Admissions hosts tours during the fall, spring, and summer semesters. The schedule of our tours changes each semester. The tour schedules will be posted on our website as follows:
- Fall Tours: September 1
- Spring Tours: February 1
- Summer Tours: June 1
Please check back on our website to view the full list of tour offerings for each semester and register for any event that best fits your schedule.
While most academic schools have a “headquarters” on a specific campus, it does not mean that campus is geared toward that specific school or major. Students at Rutgers–New Brunswick will take classes on all 5 campuses. Some schools host their own events or have their own section in our self-guided tour app.
Our five-campus bus tour would be the best option for out of state students and their families as it encompasses an admissions information session and briefly tours all 5 campuses.
While the tours are geared toward students who are looking to apply within the next year or two, there is no age restriction on the prospective students who attend. We would recommend doing a walking tour of the College Avenue campus for guests who are not eligible to apply for the current admissions cycle.
Due to spacing limitations, all students are only able to bring 2 guests with them on their tour. Guests must be registered in advance prior to attending a tour.
Our walking tours are intensive and last about 80–90 minutes. Guests who are unable to walk for a long period of time should consider a five-campus bus tour.
Rutgers University policy only accepts negative PCR tests taken within 72 hours of the event date. Home tests and rapid tests are not valid.
Both tours cover the same information but are presented in different formats. The bus tour gives you a glance at all five campuses, while the walking tour delves deeper into the heart of Rutgers–New Brunswick. You do not have to attend both as you will hear the same information.
RU ready to join us for a tour?
Rutgers–New Brunswick group tour requests are reserved for high schools and Community Based Organizations (CBO) who wish to bring a group to tour Rutgers–New Brunswick. Groups are required to provide their own transportation to and from campus.
At this time, we are offering guided walking tours of our College Avenue campus, which are led by Scarlet Ambassadors on select Thursday mornings from October through November. Chaperones are required to attend and must accompany and stay with the group the entire time they are on campus.
In order to request an in-person group tour:
- All students attending the group tour must be current high school students.
- Groups must consist of at least 15 students, but no more than 30.
In addition, all guests must comply with Rutgers University event policies and procedures:
- All on-campus tour attendees (including chaperones) will be required to show proof of full vaccination (two mRNA doses or the single J&J) or a COVID-19 negative PCR test taken within 72 hours of the tour date.
- All event attendees (including chaperones) must show photo identification that matches the accompanying materials (vaccination card/digital record or negative PCR test).
- Photocopies of any verification documentation, including ID, will not be accepted.
- Face coverings are required at all times while on buses and in select Rutgers buildings.
Virtual Group Tours:
We are also offering virtual campus tours for groups, which are also available on select Thursday mornings. Virtual tours will be held live via Zoom and led by our Scarlet Ambassadors. For virtual tours, guests are still required to be high school students, and we ask for a minimum of 15 students in the group. The updated Rutgers event policies and procedures do not apply to virtual tours.
Requesting a Group Tour:
All of our fall 2022 group tour dates have been filled. If you would like to be added to our waitlist, please complete the group tour request form and we will reach out to you in the event that a group cancels.
Spring 2023 group tour information will be posted in early 2023. If you would like to be notified when this information is available on our website, please complete this form.